“‘If you are grateful, I will surely give you more and more”
(14th Surah, verse 7)
Show Gratitude! There are a kijilliion and one resources that explain why showing gratitude is important, from psychological perspectives, mental and spiritual, and of course Islamic. One of the most powerful words Muslims can say is ALhamdoolilah which can mean All Praises and Thanks to Allah. When I used to live in Egypt I noticed how most of the time, whenever I asked other folks how they were, their first answer was always ALhamdoolilah. I usually was the type beforehand, to LITERALLY tell someone how I was feeling and then maybe throw in a alhamdoolilah in there somewhere.
I started saying it more often whenever someone asked me and it occurred that even though I was going through crappy times, I felt better when I said it. Practicing saying that simple word made me look at the positive. For example, I instantly noticed that I was happy that I was meeting with a friend.
Oh the sun was shining too.
Oh and it was a new day, I was excited about what’s to come
Who doesn’t like that feeling?
I think in the past year and a half, one habit I have been trying to work on is knowing how to relieve stress quickly. I found out that taking a long bath whenever I felt overwhelmed works really great for me. Also I found that making gratitude lists usually made me feel a lot better too. For now on inshallah, I will write gratitude lists for LFFM. Although a lot of them are deeply personal, I hope that by writing them I can encourage all of you to do the same or to express gratitude more daily.
Some more reasons for gratitude:
“One of Satan’s main aims is to keep people from being grateful. After God sent him out of the garden for his arrogance and disobedience, Satan vowed in response: ‘’I will lie in wait for them (human beings) on your straight way. Then I will assault them from in front of them and behind them, from their right and their left. Nor will you find, in most of them, gratitude (for your mercies)’’ (Quran 7:16-17). From this great e-read now posted in my tabs section!
And He subjected for you the sun and the moon, continuous [in orbit], and subjected for you the night and the day. And He gave you from all you asked of Him. And if you should count the favor [i.e., blessings] of Allaah, you could not enumerate them. Indeed, mankind is [generally] most unjust and ungrateful.” (Quran, 14th Surah, verse 32.34)
50 Things I am Grateful for:
- That I am alive in this moment
- That I have an amazingly crazy and happy child
- That I have lots of delicious foods to eat in my fridge like bunny tracks ice cream!!
- Thank I can taste delicious foods like bunny tracks ice cream!
- That I am not in a worn torn country right now like those who are suffering in Syria may Allah protect them.
- That sou sou and I are no longer as sick as we were two weeks ago
- That my feet have healed and it doesn't hurt to walk in them
- That I have the ability to see
- That I learned how to read
- That I learned how to read arabic
- That I can learn quickly
- That I love to do (some) things that are good for me
- That all my limbs and muscles work
- For bright sunlight
- For amazingly good friends, one who is my sister, who I have known since I was in high school
- For all my books
- For a healthy digestive system
- For warm clothes
- For my glasses that help me to see
- For all my crazy life experiences
- For the ability to experience life the way I had when I barely had any money
- For creativity
- For a nice clean home and a bed (floor haha!) to sleep on
- For my energy
- For loving people I get to meet on and offline
- For all healthy air to breath (kinda)
- For all the lovely blogs that get to read!
- For pretty things
- For not having any injuries at the moment
- For being able to have sou sou in my life
- For having a brother who loves me
- For my education
- For my experiences living in DC
- For the resources and ability to start my own business
- For being able to write this list
- For having the capacity to give to others
- For going on a once in a life time road trip across the US
- For seeing the most beautiful blue water anyone can see in Yukon.
- For answering my prayer for a safe place to sleep on the night along the mountain
- For going scuba diving
- For kayaking and finding a friend that day that helped me to brave it for the first time
- For the ability to cook and make food others like
- For being able to run
- For my free copy of Insanity whoo whoo
- For a child who is healthy
- For the blessings I will receive today inshallah
- For the blessings I will receive when things feel crappy that I might overlook
- For this blog and finding joy in writing it
- For my supporters and followers
- For Islam and being born a Muslim Allahu Akbar