Friday, February 3, 2012

Habits to live by: Minimalism and sleeping on the floor!

“The best richness is the richness of the soul.”
 - Hadith of the Prophet Muhammed saws


Ever since I started adopting more frugal spending habits last year, I became aware of a way of living known as Minimalism. 

Minimalism can exist in multiple forms, whether in structure, art, food, or fashion. It seems in recent years, many folks in the West are now adopting it as a lifestyle choice.
Like most great ideas, it is not new. Many cultures have histories rooted in minimalism, such as the Japanese. We also know that some of the most humble and amazing leaders chose to live on less such as Mahatma Ghandhi. Moreover many of the prophets chose to live minimally. For Muslims, our greatest example is the Prophet Muhammed (peace and blessings upon him).  Everything from his eating habits, where and how he slept, and mending his clothes speaks of humility Subhanallah (may Allah swt shower him and his family with blessings and peace)

So why should we value and explore this lifestyle choice today? 

If you need a few reasons check out this site known as Becoming Minimalist. It is an exceptionally valuable resource for those who wish to learn more about minimalism and adapt it to their unique lives.

To me, minimalism is a tool to achieving what I truly want out of life. I can say off the top of my head that spiritual peace, happiness, stability, adventurousness, and joyful living are my most ardent desires. I know I can achieve these things through hard work, creating income sources, and following through with my goals. 

Here are the minimalist-related habits I have adopted so far:
  • I analyze my groceries and eating habits stringently.  Over time I have learned to buy only what I will eat in order to reduce food waste.
  • I try to keep a conscious of the amount of clothing I own. (This of course does not include scarves or accessories!!!) First, I rarely buy shoes and choose to own only 1 pair of sneakers and boots until they croak. I also keep the number of pants I have limited as well. This leaves me with more flexibility to spend on more important pieces of clothing like dresses and shirts
  • I love to buy used. I absolutely love buying used. It is 10x more affordable and it makes me feel all giddy inside for being eco-friendly. For example, I rarely EVER buy books new, most of them are used and usually cost less than 5 dollars each offline from Amazon. Most of sou sou’s clothes are used and I will jump on a used scarf any day!
  • I try to give/donate and sell my excess. If there is ever a habit everyone on this earth should strive to practice regularly is giving more! It is incredibly freeing and enjoyable habit to have. Every now and then I look around my belongings and think to myself, why do I have this? If it isn’t being valued the way it should be I either try to sell it on ebay or give it to my friends or someone in need. How many times do we find ourselves complaining about all the crap we have! For goodness sakes, lets stop complaining and start reducing!
  • I adopted minimalist bedding-I think this habit by far is one of the most confusing to other people. I had a very powerful and difficult life change recently which left me to look inward and challenged me start all over again. Through this process I made one of those decisions only a person on the brink of change would do. I decided to get rid of my bed. 
A corner in my room where I fold up my bed for the day!



Why? .....after reading lots of books on the shuyukh, scholars, and the Prophet pbuh I noticed how they all had their own ways of purposefully living minimal as a way of training their spirit and appreciating life. I think the biggest “ah ha” moment was when I visited the house of my tajweed teacher. She lived with her sisters and mother and had a humble room. Everything about it was girly and relatable but when I looked on the floor I saw a simple cot mattress, pillows, and a blanket. Next to it was a rehal with the Quran. I had no idea how she lived from knowing her at that time, but when I saw how she intentionally chose to sleep on the floor to emulate the prophet I decided to do the same.


I can say I feel uplifted from it. My room is oddly shaped and on the small side, so having a smaller sleep system (and being able to fold it up as you see in the picture) really opens up my room. When it is actually clean all you see is sunlight, my bookshelves up high, the rehal and a sitting space. This doesn’t mean I will avoid getting other furniture, but as of now I really enjoy my space.

From a minimalism stand-point I am reducing waste by not purchasing a bedding furniture set. I am also reducing clutter by having a smaller manageable arrangement, and I am reducing maintenance because of the convenience. Lots of reports are saying that with proper support, sleeping on the floor can be better for you also!

Please remember people, don’t get intimidated! Minimalism is relative, and everyone has their own way of interpreting it to their unique sensibilities and lifestyle. I think I can confidently say that with whatever way you adopt minimalist habits for your lifestyle you will see financial and spiritual improvement!

Have any of you heard of minimalism before? Would you try any of these things out? Does it seem like something worth looking into? I would love to hear your opinions even if you don't agree!




14 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVEEE this post. I absolutely love minimialism, have said it before. I totally admire you for doing so. Home wise ye my place is big but doesnt have heaps of furnishing, I love japanese minimalism and low line design. Clothes wise I have to say I have always had an excess blame my love for clothing but I found when I had to rid myself of all the pig skin lined shoes I had and now have a lot less, its actually quite liberating not having so many to choose from! Dont get me wrong I still probably have too many but its much less then before! I sleep on a futon so sleeping on the floor with it would suit me fine! Mashallah to you sis, something to think about xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alhamdoolilah I am so glad you loved it! I do remember reading once about your love for Japanese design! It's awesome that you also worked on cutting down your stuff too, its such a great feeling :) I do want a nicer wardrobe, so right now I am focusing on buying much better longer lasting pieces and getting rid of the funky stuff I barely wear that takes too much space. I was also thinking getting a shikibuton myself soon inshallah :) It is so great to find another sister that has similar bedding haha, now I am not so wierd!! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely lovely post sis. just came across your blog and love it please visit mine.

    www.eat-pray-sleep.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fatima for reading. I glad you enjoyed it alhamdoolilah. I really enjoy exploring your blog. Now I am following ;)

      Delete
  4. I so love this post. I ha e heard of simplicity and have heard lectures on how the simple ways of our Nabi was what attracted people to love him so much, but this is the first time I hear of minimalist in the way you ha e put it:D I love it. Thank you for writing such an inspiring post:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sis I am so glad you enjoyed it, and that you learned more about minimalism. THank you for reading :)

      Delete
  5. Nice post and I thinks its great. I don't sleep on the floor but I totally see myself doing it.

    Thanksfor visiting my blog !

    xx shay.
    ps : I love the name of your blog haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shay I love your blog! Will be visiting often inshallah. Some folks can't stomach the idea of low level sleeping so that's great you could see yourself doing it. One thing they always say about switching is to expect discomfort the first few days so your back adjusts :)

      At first I was worried about the name, but now I am trying to make my blog live up to it so thanks!!!

      Delete
  6. i had heard of a minimalist way of dressing but never thought of minimalism as a lifestyle choice. this is an amazing, thought provoking article! i have heard doctors say that sleeping on the floor is better for your back anyway but getting rid of your bed is a huge step! i hope it turns out well for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sister thank you so much! I am glad you enjoyed it :). Thank you for following as well!

      Delete
  7. A month or so ago i was mad at my sister who i share a room with sobislept on the floor of the hallway.I HAD THE BEST SLEEP THAT I HAD GOTTENTEN IN MONTHS¡!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, see I knew I wasn't the only one who thought it was comforatable

      Delete
  8. This seems like a great idea. Not only might it help with my bad back but my giant bed takes up 40% of my room. LOOK AT ALL THIS SPACE FOR ACTIVITIES!
    Also I can have my Muslim friends over for dinner, they prefer to eat on the floor but my female flatmates don't like being kicked out of the lounge, so with all this extra space we can have dinner in my room.

    ReplyDelete

You are AmaZing

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis!