Monday, February 20, 2012

Project: Go on a Spending Fast

 "Money is not required to buy one necessity of the soul."
 -Henry David Thoreau

Asalamu Alaykum Folks!

I felt really compelled to take a look-see at my bucket list and get reminded of all the things I have yet to experience. One "goal" in particular is to go on a Spending Fast for one month.



Source
A spending fast is when you intentionally decide to abstain from spending money for a set period of time. There are many reasons to do it. You can....
  • Learn to appreciate the value of money
  • Save money
  • Pay down a debt
  • Free up time (from shopping)
  • Free up energy to focus on something else.
I would definitely describe this month so far as one of extremes of both positive and negative things. I believe not spending next month will help me to not only save, but free up a lot of energy for more important things. Although I already wrote down my tips for how to resist shopping here, this spending fast will be more intense as it will force me to only focus on necessities. Here are the things I will allow myself to spend on: (consider it a guide to the fast if you will)
  1. Travel expenses -includes fare, tickets, and gas to get to the places I need to go)
  2. Business Start-up costs-packaging, inventory, and all the needed items to get myself up and running
  3. Baby needs-Diapers ...
  4. Groceries-Includes mostly food and anything my roommate will need
  5. Health- inshallah any medicines or important purchases
  6. Gym-I haven't decided yet but I would like to start going to a gym just to change things up a bit
  7. Rent and money owed-self explanatory
Primarily I am hoping to not only save a a lot of money, and to earn even more by via selling online. Also, I hope to be a lot closer to opening my business and accomplishing more of the spiritual goals I have set for myself.  

Honestly....folks I am afraid of letting myself down with this one. 

Sure I have been really used to not spending money for long periods of time but it seems whenever you set a rule NOT to do something, it because hard to follow. Inshallah I hope I can achieve this feat. I hope it benefits me and helps me benefit those around me. I will keep you all updated and let you know of my withdraw symptoms!


Who knows, maybe if this goes well, I can undertake a longer period of "fasting" and observe some of the great benefits like this interesting lady. 

Any advice? Have any of you gone on a spending fast before or something similar?

Update!!!!
 
 Sister Sarah made a suggestion (that's a lot of s) to find something to focus on to use as motivation. Thanks Sarah! 

In my mind I want so much, this is probably why I run around all day and often feel overwhelmed. But what would make me truly happy is to find another job next month, as well as a baby sitting service so mama can get a break.

If I don't spend (no online pretend shopping either) it will help me to focus on networking and passing out my resume as well as filling the orders I have already.

Another thing I want is to declutter a lot more. I am moving after next month and I have so much stuff (given to me by some shopaholics) which I really don't want and need. So far I have been slowly numbering the things down, but I really want to rid myself of the burden big time. I hope next month I can do even more decluttering, organizing, and donations.

Thirdly, but of course, not the least, I want to get back into Quran recitation and memorization and restart my classical Arabic studies.
There are specific surat I have been wanting to memorize for the longest time. It would be amazing if I could finally arrange the time to do it inshallah.

Yeah....I feel better already ;)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds incredibly difficult for me. It sounds like a great idea, though. I am going back to the states in April and going on a spending fast would help me save much needed $$ for that trip. I may join you for the month of March and create my own "guide" catered to me.

    My recent post http://sippingchai.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/product-review-bb-concealer-kit-corrector/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sis I really do hope you join me. It would def. give me more motivation and resilience to know another sister is doing the same. I would love to read your own "guide."

      :)

      Delete
  2. aww dont be afraid! iA you can do it, youre a minimalist ! :)
    the Anna Jones blog that you linked seemed like she was motivated cuz she the specific goal of getting out of debt. maybe if you focus on one benefit of the spending fast you can keep yourself motivated!!

    http://sarahriaz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah you are absolutely right. It will probably help me more if i choose something to focus on. I just have so many desires in my head I have trouble choosing. After I think of the points Ill update the post inshallah :)

      Delete

You are AmaZing

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis!